While government and social sectors could benefit significantly from the adoption of emerging technologies (like IOT, Data Analytics, Mobile Apps, SaaS), these are typically under served.
- Government technology initiatives like ePDS, PAN, EHR/EMR standards, Aadhar, UPI, RuPay – are few and far between
- Non-existent civic-sector focused tech-startup ecosystem: Khosla Labs, MIT Media Labs' Kumbhathon, USF (Unitus), GoSylvant, IIT Chennai's RTBI are notable ones
- Individual government departments and NGOs (especially at state-level, during times of disaster / emergencies) look out for guidance / support in their technology needs
- Many complementary partners / solutions need to be assembled
- Very few successful (in commercial terms) social enterprises: Janaagraha, Babajobs, MapMyIndia, NextDrop, IdeaForge, Center for Internet & Society, SocialCops, EkStep, MapUnity
- There is a need to inspire, enable and accelerate startups to come up with solutions that address the needs of these sectors