The I-MACX 'Innovation' Studio
From the time IIIT-B came into existence, around 50+ members of our institute fraternity have turned innovators & entrepreneurs and have successfully launched their own ventures. Some of the notable ventures that have recently made news include: Useready, Fields of View, 47Line, Narmada Prerna Yatra, DataWeave, SBALabs among others.
The I-MACX Studio is an attempt by IIIT-B Innovation Centre to further kindle and nurture the innovative & entrepreneurial spirit within the institute community and Facilitate Research-led Social Innovation.
At the I-MACX Studio, our main aim is to enable our students & researchers (iMTech: From their 6th Semester onwards, MTech /MSc and MS / PhD: From their 2nd Semester onwards) build socially-relevant solutions & startups, from the ground up. By offering mentoring and financial assistance, The I-MACX Studio helps student-innovators and aspiring entrepreneurs conduct user research, identify market opportunities, develop and demo prototypes of new products / services that address the business challenges of real companies and social organizations.
Through a combination of enlightening business and technology conversations involving both internal and external guests (entrepreneurs, engineers, designers, investors, lawyers and other leaders), short-term and long-term challenges (hackathons, real-life projects), financial support for student ventures, open innovation programs - on an ongoing basis, we hope to enable the larger institute community elevate their entre / intre-preneurial contribution.To become a member of the I-MACX Studio and benefit from the various upcoming activities / sessions, please get in touch with us at Startup@iiitb.org or visit us at IIIT-B Innovation Centre.
- Mr. Atul Shukla, Kollabia
- Mr. Arjun Bharadwaj, Look Around
- Mr. Lukshya Madan, PalmosCare
- Mr. Bhargav, Photo Aggregator Platform
- Mr. Praneeth and Mr. Chakravardhan, NewsIn
At frequent intervals, we will have a lively edition of Enlightening Conversations with prominent thought-leaders at The I-MACX Studio. The guests include entrepreneurs, engineers, designers, artists, VCs, lawyers, spritual thinkers and other leaders who are making a difference to the society through their efforts.
- 18th Jan 2017: "Swift: Ready for Prime Time?", Mr. Chris Bailey, IBM UK, 4:00-5:00pm
- Every Friday, 10:30-11:30am: "Chai Pe Charcha"
- 12th-14th Dec, 9am-5pm: Smart Cities and Social Media, A CITAPP-IIITB Winter School
- 19th and 26th Nov, 10am-1pm: "A Swift Overview of Swift" by IBM
- 11th Nov, 9am-5pm: Digital Payments and Financial Inclusion, A CITAPP-IIITB Workshop
- 10th Nov, 9am-2pm: Smart Cities: Enabling Citizen Participation thru Technology, A Janaagraha-IChangeMyCity Workshop
- 9th Nov, 3-4pm: An overview of Blockchain Technology, RR Cherla - Founder, Spoole Systems
- 28th Oct, 3-5pm: New Product Introduction Sprint Workshop - HealtheLife Customer Validation, Mr. S Ranganath, Nutrition Coach
- 24th - 28th Oct: New Product Introduction Sprint Workshop for HealtheLife, IIITB Innovation Centre by Prof. Ramesh Sundararaman
- 26th Oct: What makes a Great Venture Idea, Mr. Shashank Jain, Founder & CEO - Presto Apps
- 19th Oct: Frugal Innovation for Complex Problems, Mr. Ramesh Kumar, CTO - Eduquity
- 26th Sep: The Art of Acquiring Customers, Mr. Siva Ramamoorthy, Startup Advisor & Head - Ephicacy India Operations
- 22nd Sep: Fear of Finance, Mr. Vijay Krishnamurthy, Executive Director & Lead Partner - MyCFO
- 21st Sep: Work your way to Happiness, Swami Kalakanda Prabhu, Spiritual Teacher - ISkCON
- 21st Sep: Launch of The I-MACX Studio, Prof. Ramesh Sundararaman - Startup Mentor & COO, IIITB Innovation Centre
- 21st Sep: Wadhwani Foundation and Support to aspiring Entrepreneurs by Ms. Bhumika, Wadhwani Foundation
- Dr. Anindya Sircar, IP Consultant
- Dr. KB Chandrasekhar, Founder - Exodus, e4e; Advisor - IDG Ventures
- Mr. Nirbhay, Fidelity Investments
- Mr. Manish Singhal, Founder - PI Ventures
- Mr. Meka Kiran Kumar, ESRI
- Mr. Naveen Suriya, K&S Partners
If you are interested in building a useful proof-of-concept that addresses the business challenges / needs of real companies and social organizations - you are not alone. Even in the past, we have had some of your friends & seniors work on interesting solutions, that address the requirements of organizations like EMRI, Akshaya Patra, etc.
As part of I-MACX Studio, we support "select, socially-relevant & innovative tech-ventures" by offering guidance towards:
- Identifying a worthy idea / challenge to work upon
- Conduct user research
- Develop & Demo PoC / Prototypes
- Provide expert feedback
A repository of interesting real-world challenges for our Student-Innovators to explore & address (Note: Restricted Access to owners of @iiit.ac.in / @iiitb.org email addresses), in partnership with AnswerCart - QueryHome, an I-MACX accelerator startup.
You might also find some interesting challenges to address here as well.
Civic and Social Organizations that recently helped our Student-Innovators with Business Challenges to address
We also conduct civic-tech themed hackathons that bring together innovators from the society to address the major challenges faced by our society, in partnership with leading corporates and / or civic organizations.
Social Innovation Ventures
If you are in your final year and planning to use your internship (final) semester to start your own firm - you are not alone. Even in the past (when it was not considered "normal" to start a venture!!), we have had some of your seniors (Paddy Raghavan, Nitin Tailor, Ajay Venkatesan, Bharath Palavalli, Nitesh Kadiyan ... to name a few) take the entrepreneurial plunge and achieve varying degrees of success.
Not so long ago, our institute supported Mr. Atul Shukla (MTech student) in his innovative, app-based collaborative-music venture - Kollabia. Atul started working on this venture right from this 4th semester and used the internship semester to build the product / firm.
As part of I-MACX Studio, we support monetarily some of our "Social Innovation Ventures" every year. So, if you are in your final year and planning to work on your social innovations full-time (either alone or along with your classmates) - thru I-MACX Studio, we will support "select, socially-relevant & innovative tech-ventures" by offering a stipend of Rs. 10,000 / month for 5 months (Feb thru Jun) to each of the student-innovators involved. Our plan is to support at least 5 "qualified social-innovations" involving up to a maximum of 10-12 student-innovators.
If you are interested and would like yourself / your innovation to be considered, please submit a pitch deck ready (addressing the following questions - what problem are you trying to solve, what innovative solution are you planning to develop and how, why are you and your team well-suited to solve this problem).
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at Startup@iiitb.org / Ramesh.Sundararaman@iiitb.ac.in or meet us at Innovation Centre.
In our desire to practice "Open or Collaborative" Social Innovation, since late 2016 we have been executing quarterly editions of "The I-MACX Open Studio".
During such events: Startups, Corporate Technology Leaders, IIIT-B Faculty & Research Scholars, Civic-Leaders and Investors interact on possible collaboration; Our I-MACX Student-Entrepreneurs & Startups demonstrate their social-innovations, underlying technology stack and benefit from the feedback provided by the distinguished visitors.
We had successfully exected 2 such editions over the past two quarters: